(Updated August 18, 2020)
Harry Potter fans may now have more reason to visit Japan. In reports from NHK, a Harry Potter theme park is coming to Tokyo, Japan, in the first half of 2023. This Harry Potter theme park is to replace the Toshimaen amusement park in Nerima, Tokyo, which officially closes on August 31, 2020.
This is reported to be an attraction studio tour that’s similar to the “Warner Bros. Studios Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter,” where you’re able to go behind the scenes of the Harry Potter films. This new park will be called “Warner Bros. Studios Tour Tokyo – The Making of Harry Potter”.
Sets, costumes, props, and more will fill the 30,000 square meter theme park. An area outside the park will be free for visitors to enjoy statues of magical creatures from the Harry Potter series.
Harry Potter in Japan
Harry Potter is massively popular in Japan. In 2014, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” opened at Universal Studios Japan. While in 2018, Tokyo had a popup Harry Potter Cafe. There’s even a “House of MinaLima” in Osaka.
If you needed even more reason to visit Japan, add this to your list. Are you excited? Let me know in the comments! Until then, you’re able to experience Harry Potter at Universal Studios Japan. Let us help you plan a trip below.
More on Universal Studios Japan
Universal Studios Japan Guidebook
Are you planning a trip to Universal Studios Japan? If so, you need our digital guidebook! Our guidebook is the most comprehensive resource available, covering everything you need to know about the park, including Super Nintendo World, Express Pass, hotels, restaurants, attractions, shows, seasonal events, and more! With our guidebook, you’ll be an expert on Universal Studios Japan before you even set foot in the park. You’ll know what to expect, where to go, and what to do. You’ll also be able to avoid the crowds and make the most of your time at the park.
Book Your Flight
I use Google Flights & Momodo to find affordable flights. Another great way is to sign up for Scott’s Cheap Flights to get notifications of cheap fares, which happens often in Japan. You’ll sometimes stumble on cheap flights to Kansai International Airport.
Buy Your Shinkansen Tickets (Bullet Train)
Getting around Japan by the world-renown bullet train, known as the Shinkansen, is incredibly fast, reliable, and affordable for visitors. You can travel from Tokyo to Osaka in just over 2 hours. Get the JR Rail Pass to save a ton of money on the bullet train for your trip.
Book Your Hotel
Universal Studios Japan has affordable accommodations that are steps away from the Park with easy access to Osaka. I recommend checking prices through Booking.com followed by the hotels directly. Sometimes you’re able to score some incredible deals. Here’s a short list of hotels at Universal Studios Japan I recommend.
- The Park Front Hotel at Universal Studios Japan – You’re directly in front of the Park gates and have instant access to Universal CityWalk Osaka. The rooms are gorgeous, with restaurants and even a Lawson (Japanese convenience store).
- The Singulari HOTEL & SKYSPA – Attached to the train station is a fantastic hotel for those who want a comfortable, clean, and stylish place to sleep. After a long day at Universal Studios Japan, the rooftop sento (public bath) is excellent for unwinding and relaxing.
- Hotel Universal Port – This is an excellent hotel for the Minion fan in your family, only a 5-minute walk from Universal Studios Japan. It also boasts the largest breakfast buffet in Japan, a must during your visit.
Buy Your Tickets & Express Pass
In advance, save time and stress by buying your tickets and Express Pass for Universal Studios Japan.
Universal Studios Japan only offers free Wi-Fi at the entrance to the Park. That’s not enough to stay connected and share your day with everyone back home to give them FOMO on Instagram. Here’s how you can stay connected while travelling in Japan.
- Pocket Wi-Fi – If you’re travelling with a group or have multiple devices, this is your best and most affordable way to stay connected to the internet. Pick up and drop off at the airport. Easy.
- Japan SIM Card – If you have an unlocked phone and need a Japanese phone number, this is the best and easiest way.
Get Yourself Travel Insurance
While travelling aboard, having travel insurance protects you against injury, cancellations, illness, and other things you can never predict. Whenever I travel, I always budget for travel insurance to protect myself. I’ve used it, and I’m so glad I had it. My recommended companies are SafteyWing and World Nomads for travel insurance.
Learn More about Universal Studios Japan
Don’t forget to study our in-depth destination guide on Universal Studios Japan for more information on this beautiful park in Osaka.
Some links may be affiliate links to services I recommend. Buying services through these links at no extra cost to you help support TDR Explorer. Please read our full disclosure for more details.