Shanghai Disneyland Chinese New Year 2019
Shanghai Disneyland’s Chinese New Year celebrations are underway from January 19 – February 19, 2019, and include traditional decorations, greetings, festive entertainment, and a special fireworks display.
Chinese New Year celebration isn’t complete without food and gifts and luckily Shanghai Disneyland delivers, with special menus in the park and hotels, and new red and gold merchandise too.
Chinese New Year is an extremely busy time at Shanghai Disneyland. If you’re planning a visit it’s worth knowing that February 5 is the official date of the New Year, with the nation-wide celebrations taking place February 4 – 10. If your plans are flexible it would be better to visit the park outside of those dates.
Check out the details and pictures below. Planning your trip to Shanghai Disneyland? Be sure to check out our Ultimate Shanghai Disneyland Trip Planning Guide.
Chinese New Year Entertainment
To celebrate the New Year in an authentic Chinese style, Shanghai Disneyland has a packed program of seasonal entertainment throughout the day.
Each morning Mickey and Minnie host a customary drum circle at the Storytellers Statue. Then during the day, the popular Shanghai Swing receives a New Year update. The show on Mickey Avenue features Mickey and Friends, and performers in vintage Shanghai-style costumes dancing along to high-tempo jazz classics. Guests can join in too.
Finally, Firework Celebration: A Feast of Love and Light will take place on January 25 – 26, every day from February 4 – 10, and on February 19.
The display is an addition to the end of the park’s nightly castle projection show Ignite the Dream. The Gardens of Imagination in front of the castle get very crowded during the show. For a better experience of the show and the fireworks, we recommend finding a spot at the end of Mickey Avenue.
More Chinese New Year at Shanghai Disneyland:
- Traditional New Year’s Lion Dance on the morning of February 5th
- New Year Decorations
- Mickey lanterns, Chinese couplets, floral garlands, peach flowers, paper decorations on Mickey Avenue
- Spinning centerpiece and archway photo spots
- To celebrate the Year of the Pig Hamm from Toy Story will appear in decorations too
- Wishing Garden in the Garden of Twelve Friends
- Hang your wishing card on one of the wishing trees
- New Year Greetings
- Meet Mickey and Friends, Duffy, ShellieMay, Gelatoni, and StellaLou in new festive costumes
- Goofy appears as the God of Fortune and gives guests a wishing card and chocolate coins
- 40 red and gold Chinese New Year items
- Mickey, Duffy, and Friends in traditional costumes
- Pins, calendars, and home decor
- The launch of the Mickey Shanghai Travel Collection
- Lucky Bags
- Includes exclusive Hamm the pig merchandise
- The chance to win a roundtrip to Hong Kong with China Eastern Airlines
- Special food in the park
- Mickey cupcakes, blueberry cheesecake, and Chip & Dale’s Chocolate Chestnut Skewers at Remy’s Patisserie and Il Paperino
- Family reunion menu at Royal Banquet Hall includes golden crab seafood soup, Mickey-shaped braised pork, and braised flounder
- Roasted duck, BBQ pork, Mongolian beef, and plum pork ribs with garlic at the Wandering Moon Restaurant
- Festive Menus in the Resort Hotels
- Family Reunion Dinners in Cinderella Ballroom at the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel on February 4-5.
- Chinese New Year Feast from February 3-10 at Lumière’s Kitchen in the Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Includes Chinese and western dishes and a visit from Mickey and Friends in traditional costume
Disneytown and Shanghai Disneyland Hotels
- Disneytown Celebrates
- Chinese New Year Carnivale at the Wishing Star Market
- Traditional snacks, ornaments and crafting workshops
- Photo locations
- The “Wishing Star Skating Rink” continues until late February
- Shanghai Disneyland Hotel
- Red and gold lanterns, garlands, firecracker statues, and peach wood decorations in the lobby
- Greeting with Goofy in his Chinese New Year costume
- Themed-rooms with festive decorations
- Toy Story Hotel
- Special sculpture of Hamm on a mountain of gold coins
- Character-inspired lanterns in the lobby
For more information on Shanghai Disneyland and when to visit, read our Ultimate Shanghai Disneyland Trip Planning Guide. It includes info on when to visit, where to stay, and how to buy discount tickets through Klook. You can even use our exclusive discount code KLKTDREX to save $4 USD off your first order.
Information and images from the Shanghai Disneyland website and media release.
+ There are no commentsAdd yours