Ahead of the grand opening of Super Nintendo World on February 4, 2021, at Universal Studios Japan, 80,000 annual pass holders and Club Universal members will have a chance to preview the new area from December 23, 2020, to January 18, 2021!
These lucky winners will be selected from two campaigns online, and need to be filled out in Japanese. Winners can bring up to 4 guests, who must have a valid park ticket or an annual pass for the date of admission.
Universal Studios Japan Annual Pass Holder Campaign
70,000 lucky annual pass holders and their guests will be able to experience Super Nintendo World starting from December 23, 2020! This campaign is split into two rounds, with 45,000 winners selected for the first round and 25,000 for the second round.
Holders of any Universal Annual Pass can enter the campaign. If you have an Annual Pass that was valid during Universal’s four-month closure this year, your pass may have been extended. Click here to check the new validity date of your pass!
Please note, if you have a Universal Annual Pass Lite, the pass cannot be used to enter the park from December 23, 2020, to January 4, 2021. The Universal Annual Pass cannot be used on December 28, 29, & 30 and January 3 & 4. You will need to purchase a valid park ticket if you win an entry ticket during those dates.
Applications for the first round can be made here from November 30, 2020, to December 8, 2020. Applicants can make up to five requests for a desired date and time between December 23, 2020, to January 18, 2021. Winners will be informed of their winning date and time by e-mail around December 14, 2020.
Applicants can select an entry time of 10:00-13:00, 11:00-14:00, 15:30-18:30, or 16:30-19:30 depending on the day. Applications cannot be made for December 31, 2020, to January 3, 2020. Click here for more details on the first round’s calendar.
Applications for the second round can be made from December 9 to 17, 2020. Applicants can make up to five requests for a desired date and time between January 4, 2020, to January 18, 2021. Winners will be informed of their winning date and time by e-mail around December 24, 2020.
Applicants can select an entry time of 10:00-13:00, 11:00-14:00, 15:30-18:30, or 16:30-19:30 depending on the day. Applications cannot be made for January 11, 15, 16 or 17. Click here for more details on the first round’s calendar.
Club Universal Campaign
Club Universal is a free fan club for Universal Studios Japan. Click here to register, in Japanese only
This campaign will invite 10,000 lucky winners and their guests to preview Super Nintendo World from January 4 to January 14, 2021. Applications can be made from December 9 to 17, 2020. Winners will be informed of their winning date and time by e-mail around December 24, 2020.
Applicants can select an entry time of 10:00-13:00 or 11:00-14:00 depending on the day. Applications cannot be made for January 10 or 11. Click here for more details on the first round’s calendar.
Annual Pass holders who applied for the Annual Pass campaigns can also apply for this campaign. However, it is forbidden to apply for the same date and time for both campaigns.
Application Rules & Precautions
- Universal Annual Pass Holders can apply for both campaigns and may apply for both rounds of the Pass Holder campaign
- When adding companions to the application, include the name of any guest who is under 3 years old
- In addition to the winning entry ticket, guests will need a valid park ticket or annual pass to enter the park
- Attractions at Super Nintendo World may be stopped due to technical difficulties, maintenance, or weather
- It is forbidden to post personal photos, videos, reviews, etc. of Super Nintendo World online until after the grand opening
- Once you leave Super Nintendo World, you cannot re-enter
- There is no smoking area in Super Nintendo World
Images and information from the Universal Studios Japan website
More on Universal Studios Japan
Book Your Flight
I personally use Google Flights & Momodo to find affordable flights. Another great way is to sign up for Scott’s Cheap Flights to get notifications of cheap fares, which happens a lot to Japan. You’ll sometimes stumble on cheap flights to Kansai International Airport.
Buy Your Shinkansen Tickets (Bullet Train)
Getting around Japan by the world-renown bullet train, known as the Shinkansen, is incredibly fast, reliable, and affordable for visitors. You can travel from Tokyo to Osaka in just over 2-hours. Get yourself the JR Rail Pass to save a ton of money on the bullet train for your trip.
Book Your Hotel
Universal Studios Japan has affordable accommodations that are steps away from the Park with easy access to Osaka. I recommend checking prices through Booking.com followed by the hotels directly. Sometimes you’re able to score some incredible deals. Here’s a shortlist of hotels at Universal Studios Japan I recommend.
- The Park Front Hotel at Universal Studios Japan – You’re directly in front of the Park gates and have instant access to Universal CityWalk Osaka. The rooms are gorgeous and have restaurants and even a Lawson (Japanese convenience store).
- The Singulari HOTEL & SKYSPA – Attached to the train station is this simple hotel fantastic for those who want a comfortable, clean, and stylish place to sleep. After a long day at Universal Studios Japan, the rooftop sento (public bath) is great to unwind and relax.
- Hotel Universal Port – For the Minion fan in your family (I’m looking at you Mom and your Minion memes you share on Facebook) this is a great hotel only a 5-minute walk from Universal Studios Japan. It also boasts the largest breakfast buffet in Japan that’s a must during your visit.
Buy Your Tickets & Express Pass
Save yourself time and stress by buying your tickets and Express Pass for Universal Studios Japan in advance. The less time you spend in line buying tickets the more time you have to enjoy everything in the Park!
Universal Studios Japan only offers free wi-fi at the entrance to the Park. That’s not enough to stay connected and share your day with everyone back home to give them FOMO on Instagram. Here’s how you can stay connected while travelling in Japan.
- Pocket Wi-Fi – If you’re travelling with a group or have multiple devices this is your best and affordable way to stay connected to the internet. Pick up and drop off at the airport. Easy.
- Japan SIM Card – If you have an unlocked phone and need a Japanese phone number this is the best and easiest way.
Get Yourself Travel Insurance
While travelling aboard having travel insurance protects you against injury, cancellations, illness, and other things you’re never able to predict. Whenever I travel, I always budget for travel insurance to protect myself. I’ve had to use it in the past and I’m so glad I had it. My recommended company is World Nomads for travel insurance.
Learn More on Universal Studios Japan
Don’t forget to study our in-depth destination guide on Universal Studios Japan for even more information on this wonderful park in Osaka.
Some links may be affiliate links to services I recommend. At no extra cost to you, buying services through these links help support TDR Explorer. Please read our full disclosure for more details.