Disney Tanabata Days returns to Tokyo Disney Resort from June 6 – July 7, 2019, with seasonal greetings, decorations, food, and merchandise.
Tanabata or “Star Festival” is a Japanese tradition which celebrates the meeting of Orihime and Hikoboshi. The two deities are in love, but are separated by the milky way and can only meet on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month.
The event runs for just one month, so is smaller than other events at Tokyo Disney Resort, but makes up for it with fantastic opportunities to see Disney characters in traditional costumes taking part in a uniquely Japanese event.
Both Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are hosting Tanabata Days greetings.
At Tokyo Disneyland, Mickey and Minnie appear as Orihime and Hikoboshi and travel along the parade route aboard rickshaws. They are joined by a host of characters, including Donald, Daisy, Pluto, Goofy, Chip, Dale, Clarice, Rapunzel, Belle, Snow White, Cinderella, and Prince Charming.
At Tokyo DisneySea, Mickey, Minnie Duffy, ShellieMay, Aladdin, Jasmine, Ariel, and Prince Eric sail across the Mediterranean Harbor to greet guests.
It is traditional to make a wish during the Tanabata festivities, so “wishing places” with a Disney twist have appeared at Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. Here guests can write their wish on special wishing cards and hang them on the decorations to make their wish.
This year, Tokyo Disneyland’s wishing place is in the World Bazaar, and each evening the area transforms into “Starlight Wishing Place” with milky way lighting effects and Tanabata-themed music.
- Tanabata Days greetings at both parks
- Wishing places in World Bazaar at Tokyo Disneyland, and in the American Waterfront at Tokyo DisneySea
- Over 40 merchandise items – See the full range
- Including Mickey and Minnie dressed in traditional costume
- Constellation-themed items
- Tanabata Days food and drink – Check out the full menu
- Peach and blue jelly shaved ice
- Five special cocktails at Tokyo DisneySea
- Tanabata menu items at the resort hotels with must-see Chip and Dale bread – Full hotels menu
- Tanabata Resort Line ticket
- Listen: Tanabata Days 2018 Podcast
Information and images from the Tokyo Disney Resort media release.
Summer at Tokyo Disney Resort
- Tanabata Days (June 6 – July 7, 2019)
- Duffy’s Sunny Fun (June 6 – August 27, 2019)
- Funtime with Toy Story 4 (June 14 to September 1, 2019)
- Donald’s Hot Jungle Summer (July 9 to September 1, 2019)
- Disney Pirates Summer (July 9 to September 1, 2019)
- Soaring: Fantastic Flight (Opens July 23, 2019)
- Song of Mirage (Opens July 23, 2019)
Are you planning a trip to Japan?
Take the anxiety out of planning a trip to Japan with our premium ebook travel guides on Tokyo Disney Resort & Universal Studios Japan. Our guides have everything you need to know from the best times to visit, what hotel to choose, what to do, what to eat, and tons more! With nearly 2000 copies sold, our premium guides have become an essential tool for Explorers!
Get all your discount tickets for Tokyo Disneyland, Robot Restaurant, Universal Studios Japan, and more through our tickets page (includes an exclusive discount code). For my personal recommendations on SIM cards, portable wi-fi devices, travel insurance, cheap flights, and hotel bookings, read our travel resources page.
Do you love exclusive and early access to content? Support us on Patreon as it helps us continue bringing you free and continuous content to help you plan your trip.
Some links may be affiliate links to services I recommend. At no extra cost to you, buying services through these links help support TDR Explorer. Please read our full disclosure for more details.