Universal Studios Japan has announced the return of its immensely popular Universal Cool Japan event in 2022! The main attraction will be Monster Hunter World: Iceborne XR Walk, based on the popular video game series.
Universal Cool Japan will be held from January 21st to August 28th, 2022. The event will coincide with the closing months of the insanely popular Demon Slayer event. 2022 will also see the debut of a new daytime parade, and we have all the details here!
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne XR Walk
The XR Walk attraction requires an extra paid ticket. While the park hasn’t announced pricing, the previously announced event ticket cost ¥2,500 ($23 USD). The attraction was originally planned to open in 2020 but was postponed for nearly two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
While the park has had VR and interactive attractions in the past, Monster Hunter World: Iceborne XR Walk is unprecedented in its size and scale.
Guests will wear advanced VR equipment, pictured above, in order to experience the attraction. This includes VR goggles, hand trackers, and a backpack that includes a small computer. You’ll also hold a model weapon that will be used to fight off the giant monsters in the game. You can choose from five different weapons: a sword, long sword, hammer, axe, or heavy bowgun.
Each weapon has its own strengths and weaknesses, so choose carefully! The VR technology allows guests to feel completely immersed in the icy world of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne. You can collect materials, explore caves, climb steep cliffs, and of course, fight some monsters! Groups of four are allowed to enter the attraction together. Communicate with other players using voice messages, and aim to get the highest score!
In the VR world, you will arrive at the game’s base headquarters of Seliana. You meet an injured hunter, who asks for your help in finding their friend and senior hunter in the icy fields of the Hoarfrost Reach. After collecting items and following monster tracks, you will come face to face with the terrifying winged monster named Velkhana!
The attraction will last for about 25 minutes, in which you will be able to freely roam the large VR world.
Notes and Guest Precautions
- As the equipment for the VR attraction is heavy, guests who are not confident in their physical strength or who cannot walk on their own (those who need to use a wheelchair or cane) will not be able to enter.
- Groups of four enter the attraction together, so you may be put in a group with other guests. Also, large groups will be asked to split up.
- Due to the VR equipment, you are not allowed to wear the following clothes at the attraction: long dresses or skirts, sleeveless shirts, tank tops, wet clothes, open-toed shoes, sandals, or high heels.
- Hats, scarves, bags, accessories (rings, earrings, etc.) and any electronic devices (phones, smartwatches, etc.) must be stored in a locker before entering the attraction, as they may interfere with the VR equipment.
- It is forbidden to touch other guests during the attraction, including holding a child. This is to ensure that the VR equipment works properly and doesn’t break.
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne XR Walk is stepping up to be one of the most fascinating and exciting attractions ever at Universal Studios Japan! Merchandise and food information will be released at a later date, so make sure to follow TDR Explorer for more details in the future! Information and photos from Universal Studios Japan
More on Universal Studios Japan
Book Your Flight
I personally use Google Flights & Momodo to find affordable flights. Another great way is to sign up for Scott’s Cheap Flights to get notifications of cheap fares, which happens a lot to Japan. You’ll sometimes stumble on cheap flights to Kansai International Airport.
Buy Your Shinkansen Tickets (Bullet Train)
Getting around Japan by the world-renown bullet train, known as the Shinkansen, is incredibly fast, reliable, and affordable for visitors. You can travel from Tokyo to Osaka in just over 2 hours. Get the JR Rail Pass to save a ton of money on the bullet train for your trip.
Book Your Hotel
Universal Studios Japan has affordable accommodations that are steps away from the Park with easy access to Osaka. I recommend checking prices through Booking.com followed by the hotels directly. Sometimes you’re able to score some incredible deals. Here’s a short list of hotels at Universal Studios Japan I recommend.
- The Park Front Hotel at Universal Studios Japan – You’re directly in front of the Park gates and have instant access to Universal CityWalk Osaka. The rooms are gorgeous, with restaurants and even a Lawson (Japanese convenience store).
- The Singulari HOTEL & SKYSPA – Attached to the train station is this simple hotel fantastic for those who want a comfortable, clean, and stylish place to sleep. After a long day at Universal Studios Japan, the rooftop sento (public bath) is excellent for unwinding and relaxing.
- Hotel Universal Port – This is an excellent hotel for the Minion fan in your family, only a 5-minute walk from Universal Studios Japan. It also boasts the largest breakfast buffet in Japan, that’s a must during your visit.
Buy Your Tickets & Express Pass
In advance, save yourself time and stress by buying your tickets and Express Pass for Universal Studios Japan.
Universal Studios Japan only offers free wi-fi at the entrance to the Park. That’s not enough to stay connected and share your day with everyone back home to give them FOMO on Instagram. Here’s how you can stay connected while travelling in Japan.
- Pocket Wi-Fi – If you’re travelling with a group or have multiple devices, this is your best and most affordable way to stay connected to the internet. Pick up and drop off at the airport. Easy.
- Japan SIM Card – If you have an unlocked phone and need a Japanese phone number, this is the best and easiest way.
Get Yourself Travel Insurance
While travelling aboard, having travel insurance protects you against injury, cancellations, illness, and other things you’re never able to predict. Whenever I travel, I always budget for travel insurance to protect myself. I’ve used it in the past, and I’m so glad I had it. My recommended companies are SafteyWing and World Nomads for travel insurance.
Learn More about Universal Studios Japan
Don’t forget to study our in-depth destination guide on Universal Studios Japan for more information on this beautiful park in Osaka.
Some links may be affiliate links to services I recommend. Buying services through these links at no extra cost to you help support TDR Explorer. Please read our full disclosure for more details.