Universal Studios Japan has announced that it will hold a scaled-down Halloween celebration from September 18 to November 8, 2020. Due to the spread of COVID-19, this year there will be no Halloween Horror Nights or Universal Surprise Halloween events at the park. This means there will be no walk-around zombies, haunted houses, or parades.
In addition, Universal Studios Japan has announced that its annual Christmas event will be scaled down, and its New Year’s Event countdown event has been cancelled.
There is still no opening date for the highly anticipated Super Nintendo World.
While this year’s Halloween event will look different, there will still be plenty of chances to get into the Halloween spirit with entertainment, character greetings, food and merchandise, and spooky decorations throughout the park!
Character Greetings, “Trick or Treat”, & Photo Opportunities
Many popular characters will meet guests throughout the park in frightening Halloween costumes! It is likely that the character greetings will be socially distanced, where guests are allowed to take photos of the characters from a safe distance.
- Minions will greet guests in their spooky Halloween Hacha-Mecha costumes
- Universal Monster characters such as Dracula and Werewolf will greet guests after appearing in the popular “Universal Monster Live Rock and Roll Show”
- At 42nd Street Studio Gallery, guests can take photos with characters from Sesame Street and Minions dressed in Halloween costumes
- Children can “trick or treat” around the park. Find a Team Member with a pumpkin bag, say “trick or treat”, and get some candy! Just make sure to wear a mask!
- At Universal Wonderland, characters from The Peanuts, Hello Kitty, and Sesame Street will dance around in their Halloween costumes during the Wonderland Season’s Joy ~Halloween Version~ street show.
- Sandaime J. Soul Brothers’ incredibly catchy “Rat-Tat-Tat” dance returns!
- Throughout the park, guests can sing and dance to the song will maintain safe social distancing.
- At the end of “Universal Monster Live Rock and Roll Show”, performers and guests will sing and dance along to the “Rat-Tat-Tat” dance in
- A new song also by Sandaime J. Soul Brothers will premiere at the park, and a-cappella song titled “Zombeats”
Food & Merchandise
- Exclusive Halloween merchandise will be available during the Halloween celebration. Character merchandise will include:
- The Peanuts (Snoopy and Charlie Brown)
- Child’s Play (Chucky)
- Casper the Friendly Ghost, appearing at the park for the first time this year!
- Limited-time Halloween food will be available throughout the park, at restaurants, food stalls, and Universal Market. Returning favorites such as Halloween Minions cream puffs, Minions berry jelly soda, Halloween churros, beef stew pizza sticks, and more will be available.
Are you excited for this year’s Halloween celebration? Let us know in the comments below! And to see how Universal Studios Japan is implementing new safety and hygiene guidelines, check out our report on the park’s reopening this past June.
Images from the Universal Studios Japan website.
Before You Go
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Japan continues to have strict travel restrictions to enter the country. We recommend postponing your trip until next year. For those living in Japan, make sure to check with local government advisories on the safety of traveling between prefectures.
Are you planning a trip to Japan?
Take the anxiety out of planning a trip to Japan with our premium ebook travel guides on Tokyo Disney Resort & Universal Studios Japan. Our guides have everything you need to know from the best times to visit, what hotel to choose, what to do, what to eat, and tons more! With nearly 2000 copies sold, our premium guides have become an essential tool for Explorers!
Get all your discount tickets for Tokyo Disneyland, Robot Restaurant, Universal Studios Japan, and more through our tickets page (includes an exclusive discount code). For my personal recommendations on SIM cards, portable wi-fi devices, travel insurance, cheap flights, and hotel bookings, read our travel resources page.
Do you love exclusive and early access to content? Support us on Patreon as it helps us continue bringing you free and continuous content to help you plan your trip.
Some links may be affiliate links to services I recommend. At no extra cost to you, buying services through these links help support TDR Explorer. Please read our full disclosure for more details.