This guide breaks down the best and worst times to visit Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea. We take into account holidays, weather, construction, and seasonal events.
Once you’ve decided the best time to visit start your planning with our best articles and our Ultimate Trip Planning Guide to Tokyo Disney Resort.
Table of Contents
Before we begin, I want to stress that there is no absolute best time to visit. There are times which are better than others of course. I designed this guide to help you make the right decision. Now that’s out-of-the-way, let’s begin.
Major public holidays are usually the busiest time of year, and off-peak or shoulder seasons tend to save your sanity. But because the Japanese calendar of public holidays differs greatly from North America (and even Europe), what might be the low season at other parks could be an extremely busy time at the Tokyo Disney Resort.
Here’s a simple list of tips:
- Avoid weekends and national holidays
- Best days to visit are Tuesday through Friday
- Mondays are generally the busier weekday
- Always buy your tickets in advance (I can’t stress this enough) to save yourself time
- Always prepare yourself for crowds (you’ll thank me)
The best piece of advice I can give is to always check the crowd calendar. This helps you see if the dates you chose are busy or not.
Here’s a quick breakdown of the months (details are on the “By the Month” section)
- Busy Months
- End of December into the first week of January
- End of April into the first week of May
- Lower Crowds
- After Golden Week in May
- Comfortable Weather
When to Visit in 2018
There are a few things to consider if you’re thinking about visiting in 2018:
- Construction of the new Beauty and the Beast area goes until 2020
- Soarin’ opens in 2019 (no specific date)
- Renovations of the Tokyo Disneyland entrance start in 2018
- 35th Anniversary of Tokyo Disney Resort starts in April
If you’re saving up money and vacation time for a once-in-a-lifetime trip then I’d considering waiting until 2020. It’s also worth noting that Super Mario World at Universal Studios Japan opens in 2020. Even if you decide to visit before then, there’s still tons to experience.
Closures in 2018
Attraction, show closures, and refurbishment schedule are important to take into account. Always double-check the official website for the full and most up-to-date list. Here are the major closures (popular attractions are in bold):
- Indiana Jones® Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull: January 29, 2018 – March 9, 2018
- Haunted Mansion: January 4, 2018 – April 3, 2018
- Pooh’s Hunny Hunt: April 2, 2018 – May 1, 2018
- Pirates of the Caribbean: May 7, 2018 – May 26, 2018
- Tower of Terror: May 7, 2018 – May 29, 2018
- Journey to the Center of the Earth: May 7, 2018 – July 20, 2018
- Toy Story Mania!: June 4, 2018 – June 24, 2018
Best Times in 2018
For those visiting in 2018, here are my suggestions for the best time to visit. Taking into account weather, events, closures, and construction.
- After April 15 but before April 29 (Golden Week)
- Beginning of the Tokyo Disney Resort 35th “Happiest Celebration!”
- Mild weather and chance to see Cherry Blooms (Sakura)
- The only downside is closure of Pooh’s Hunny Hunt (April 2, 2018 – May 1, 2018)
- Tanabata Days until July 7
- Natsu Matsuri (Tokyo Disneyland) & Disney Pirates Summer (Tokyo DisneySea) starts July 10 until September 2
- Debut of new entertainment at Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea
- Journey to the Center of the Earth reopens July 20
- The only downside is the weather is hot and humid
The reason for July is the debut of three new entertainment options at both parks and that’s when Journey to the Center of the Earth reopens after a long refurbishment (May 7, 2018, until July 20, 2018). Disney Pirates Summer is some of the best fun you’ll have at the park and I highly recommend it. Visit before the last week of July to avoid the summer school holidays.
October / November
- Halloween: September 11, 2018 – October 31, 2018
- Christmas: November 8, 2018 – December 25, 2018
- No major closures
- Time it right and experience Halloween & Christmas with a split visit
I normally recommend visiting in May after Golden Week, but in 2018 there are two major attractions closed (Journey to the Center of the Earth and Tower of Terror). If you don’t care to ride these two attractions, then this is an excellent time to visit. Otherwise, I’d consider April, July, October, or November.
By the Month
Here’s a summary of every month of the year. Each month is given one of three labels to help you see what to expect that month. Remember to always check the crowd calendar for your specific dates.
- ✅ Best: ideal for lower crowds, nice weather, and events
- ❌ Avoid: not ideal due to larger crowds and hot or cold weather
- ⚠️ Hit or Miss: Depends mostly on the weather
- Average temperature: 5°C (41°F)
- Crowds are high until January 5 (afterward is start of the low season)
- Average temperature: 6°C (43°F)
- The cold temperatures and unpredictable crowds due to student discounts
- Average temperature: 9°C (48°F)
- Spring break for students and the added student discounts make for large crowds
- Average temperature: 14°C (57°F)
- Warmer weather and chances to see Cherry Blossoms (Sakura)
- Visit before April 29 to avoid start of Golden Week
- Average temperature: 18°C (64°F)
- The best month for lower crowds and comfortable weather
- Visit after May 5 (Golden Week)
- Average temperature: 21°C (70°F)
- Rainy Season
- Hit or miss because some years it doesn’t rain much while others it’s non-stop for weeks
- Average temperature: 25°C (77°F)
- Heat and humidity may bother some
- Crowds are lower at the beginning of the month and pickup at the end due to summer vacation
- Average temperature: 26°C (79°F)
- Hot and humid
- Summer holidays and Obon Week bring park capacity crowds
- Average temperature: 23°C (73°F)
- Summer vacation is over and the crowds are lower
- Average temperature: 18°C (64°F)
- Typhoon Season
- Typhoons bring high winds and tons of rain which lowers the crowds
- Parks are still open during most Typhoons (indoor attractions still run)
- Average temperature: 12°C (54°F)
- Cooler weather
- Average temperature: 8°C (46°F)
- Cold weather
- Avoid after December 25 due to New Years Holidays
Every month of the year has a seasonal event that brings merchandise, food, entertainment, and decorations. Here’s a list of the seasonal events.
- New Years
- Anna and Elsa’s Frozen Fantasy
- Pixar Playtime
- Duffy’s Heartwarming Days
- Tanabata Days
If you found this guide useful, let us know in the comments! We love to hear feedback.
Get started with your trip planning to Tokyo Disneyland with our best articles. Decide where to stay with our hotel reviews and recommendations. Figure out what and where to eat with our list of restaurant reviews. Learn how to buy your park tickets (see how you can save $5 USD), then sink your teeth into our Ultimate Guide to Tokyo Disney Resort.